Related/Past Work Experience
Professor Emeritus, Academic Fieldwork Coordinator. Erie Community College, OTA Program. 1996 - 2014.
Teaching responsibilities included:
Additional responsibilities included:
- OT 239 Level IIA Clinical Fieldwork- Psychosocial, School-Based, Developmental Disabilities, Pediatric
- OT 251 Level IIB Clinical Fieldwork- Physical Disabilities settings
Consultant. Baker Victory Services. 2011-Present.
- Consult in development of web-based transition intervention services.
- Train and support staff in application of person-centered planning and psychiatric rehabilitation readiness assessment and development.
- Assist in development of school computer accessibility plan.
Consultant. Rutgers State University of New Jersey, School of Health Related Professions, Department of Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Counseling Professions. 2011.
- Advised and evaluated proposed program for Occupational Therapy Assistant Program.
- Conducted on-site review of facilities, faculty, and clinical fieldwork sites. Reviewed program design and curricula. Interviewed key stakeholders (faculty, administrators, staff, clinical affiliates, funders)
- Submitted final evaluation with recommendations for approval of new academic degree program.
Research Analyst. University at Buffalo Center for Assistive Technology. 2002-2003.
- Assisted in the development of assessment instruments for a study on assistive technology, under the direction of Dr. James Lenker, Ph.D, OTR/L, ATP.
- Conducted semi-structured interviews with subjects.
- Contributed to data compilation and analysis.
Consultant/Placement Specialist. Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID). 1996-1999.
- Developed and implemented an assessment tool used to determine re-employment readiness of individuals with disabilities.
- Provided individualized job placement services to difficult-to-place individuals.
Program Supervisor. Restoration Society, Incorporated. 1987-1996.
- Provided rehabilitation, case management and crisis intervention to a culturally diverse population of persons experiencing psychiatric disabilities, substance abuse, homelessness, and poverty.
- Hired, trained, evaluated and supervised staff.
- Developed intake procedures, performed client intakes, maintained client records.
- Conducted presentations at workshops, conferences, and classes locally and regionally.
- Designed and implemented a rehabilitation readiness assessment tool used in a supported employment program for individuals with psychiatric disabilities.
- Designed and implemented the Personal Development Program, which offers consumers structure, guidance, and support in goal setting activities, self-awareness, and environmental-awareness.
- Contributed to development of long-range and short-range agency goals and plans in conjunction with agency management/administration team.
Skills Training Specialist. Horizon Human Services, Boulevard Day Treatment Program. 1986-1987.
- Provided individual advisement and treatment planning among persons with psychiatric disabilities.
- Facilitated group and individual instruction in social and activities of daily living skills.
- Developed a horticulture therapy program that focused on decision-making, social skills, and leisure skills.
- Created a consumer-driven newsletter that focused on environmental awareness, self-awareness, and vocational skills.
- Established a consumer-run small business that manufactured and marketed custom items within the agency, focusing on vocational skills and awareness.
Rehabilitation Specialist. Restoration Society, Incorporated. 1984-1986.
- Provided direct service to persons with severe and persistent mental illness in a clubhouse setting.
- Developed and managed a horticulture training program and consumer-operated business projects.
- Assisted mental health consumers in publishing a monthly consumer-driven newsletter.